Is there anyone out there in the sewing world who doesn't own a Sencha yet? The Sencha blouse seems to be ubiquitous, popping up on so many blogs in so many wonderful variations. This is the first Colette pattern I have worked with and I'm really happy with the result.
But let me tell you, things weren't always this happy. Me and my Sencha were off to a rocky start. I made a muslin out of my roommate's old bedsheet at first and when I put it on it looked like an odd hospital gown, as if I had just fled surgery. It was decidedly unflattering and even if I had taken photos at that stage I sure wouldn't post them. Believe me, it looked dreadful.
For a moment I thought I'd abandon the project thinking that sadly Sencha just isn't for me. But then I decided to make View 1 into View 3 by haphazardly cutting a key hole into the neckline and suddenly things didn't look that bad any more despite the many shades of faded light blue and the starchy feel of the fabric.
So, I went for it and I'm sure glad I did because I absolutely love this blouse. Love, love, love it. The blouse is so elegant and yet so easy to wear. The material is comfortable and the cut so ingenious that it feels like I'm wearing only a simple t-shirt.
The sewing process was pretty straightforward except for some minor alterations. I cut a size 6 and made a an FBA and took the blouse in at the waist, because it was far too roomy after the FBA. With this blouse the defined tucks at the waist are really what make or break it. The original hospital muslin was far too wide, which gave it an unflattering and boxy shape.
The sleeves were a bit tricky to sew. My catch stitching on the inside of the sleeve looks pretty sad and certainly not polished. Some of it unravelled the first time I washed the blouse. I also made matching self-cover buttons, which were a breeze to make and yes, well, match perfectly.
I really want to make another Sencha soon. It's a great blouse for summer. I've already eyed some beautiful red cotton eyelet in my favourite fabric store and I'm thinking of making a version with a scoop neckline. I will probably simplify the process by using bias tape at the neckline and sleeves so that I don't have to do any more of the evil catch stitching. I'll keep you posted.